What is a co-operation agent

Legal context of the Co-Operation Agent

On 14 April 2004 Law no. 13/2004 on the legal context of the agent of Portuguese co-operation was published, defining his legal status. This statute revoked Decree-Law no. 363/85 of 10 September and Dec-Law no. 10/2000 of 10 February.

Under article 2, paragraph 1, of that law, an agent is a citizen who, under a contract, participates in the implementation of a co-operation action financed by the Portuguese State, promoted or implemented by Portuguese entity governed by public law or by a private non-profit-making body in beneficiary countries.

Contact us

More information will be provided through the email address: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Application for the Co-operation Agents Grant

To be included in the Co-operation Agent Grant of Camões, I.P. it is necessary to register at the Service Desk and, after receiving confirmation of your registration, it is necessary to gain access through your username and password, complete the application form for the Co-operation Agents Grant and submit it electronically.

After submitting the form, it is also necessary to attach the requested annexes to the registration form.

Accreditation/matching as co-operation agent

Intended recipients

Any Portuguese citizen, or citizen who has a tax residence in Portugal, who participates by contract in an action/project/programme of co-operation that is financed by an EU State or international organisation and that fits the purposes or objectives of Portuguese foreign policy;

What are the requirements (cumulative)
  1. Being a Portuguese citizen, or a citizen who has a tax residence in Portugal;
  2. Participating or having participated, under contract, in a cooperative action/project/programme that is funded by an EU State or international organisation;
  3. Demonstrating that the action fits the aims or objectives of Portuguese foreign policy
Documentation required
  • Photocopy of identity card and taxpayer's card or citizen's card;
  • Contract (or other legal title) under which the functions are performed;
  • Co-operation project/action under which the contract was concluded;
  • Co-operation protocols (if any);
  • Other documents that you consider relevant for a better assessment of the application




It starts with the completion of the form made available online, which must be sent to Camões, I.P. (by post or delivered face-to-face), accompanied by the documentation identified in it.

Thereafter, the application will be subject to analysis and assessment by Camões, I.P., and the final decision on the application for recognition/assimilation will be the responsibility of the relevant member of the Government.

Form for accreditation/assimilation for co-operation agents


See here some of the frequently asked questions about co-operation agents.


Initial and continuing teacher training programme

1. I have already worked as a co-operation agent under another co-operation project. Are there any limits to the performance of these functions?

Yes. Law no. 13/2004 of 14 April, which regulates the co-operation agreement to be concluded within the PFICP stipulates in its article11 that the maximum duration of the co-operation agreement is 6 (six) years. After this maximum period, a new co-operation agreement cannot be concluded before the expiration of 1 (one) year.

2. Will I be able to take my family to East Timor?

If you want to take your family with you, you will have to meet the costs of travel and accommodation in general, as the accommodation that the PFICP covers is exclusively for co-operation agents.

3. With regard to Social Protection, since I have subscribed to the Voluntary Social Security scheme under my participation in the PCLP before 31 December 2011 and since I have not performed any paid professional activity or cancelled this scheme since the termination of my contract, do I have to subscribe to the scheme again?

Yes. Under the co-operation agreement entered into with this Institute, it is our responsibility to enrol you in the Voluntary Social Security scheme and to terminate it according to the contractual period. Thus, with the conclusion of the new co-operation agreement, it will be incumbent on this Institute to carry out the respective reallocation.

4. I have ceased my activity as an independent worker. What social protection regime must I subscribe to?

It is necessary to send the relevant document that proves cessation of the activity as an independent worker and subscribe to the Voluntary Social Security scheme.

5. Following the communication sent by the University that selected me, I sent all the original documentation requested by post. Do I still have to send copies?

If you have already sent the documentation to the University that made your selection, then you will not have to send it by email. However, if you have not yet submitted the originals of the documents requested, you will first have to send copies of them by email to the University responsible for your selection.

6. Regarding the international vaccination report, I have gone to the traveller’s office and it was not issued to me since the records were made in my national vaccination report. Must I apply for it anyway?

No. You only have to send the international bulletin if you have one.

7. Is it possible to deliver all requested documents in person, instead of sending them by email?

It is necessary to proceed according to the information on the website.